Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Matt Jenkins



primary medium
forged steel

location
St. Andrews/Selkirk

mcc member since
2000, but lapsed a couple times...

what i love most about my craft
The art of blacksmithing is an intriguing craft. It is a craft that requires carefully planning and great patience; that is punctuated with flashes of loud and fiery actions to achieve the goal of the finished product. It is this dichotomy of blacksmithing that I love the most.

something my craft practice has taught me
Patience, and to view steel as something to be formed into an approachable, touchable and usable shape, rather than a cold and foreboding material.

favourite online resource related to my craft
http://www.abana.org/ Artist Blacksmith Association website
http://www.baba.org.uk/ British Artist Blacksmith Association

favourite crafty quote
"The craftsman of the future must be an artist..." C.R. Mackintosh

a book that made me think differently about my craft
Art Forms in the Plant World: 120 Full-Page Photographs (Dover Photography Collections). This book is a collection of plant forms that forged iron work has based a lot of its forms on in the last 3 centuries. It inspires one to look around themselves and appreciate the small inspirations that we can easily pass by everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment