Friday, June 25, 2010

Joy Eidse

primary medium
fibre art - quilting

location
Winnipeg

on the web
address TBA - hopefully by the end of the summer!




MCC member since

approximately March 2010.

what I love most about my craft
I can do it while caring for my two young boys. It keeps me sane.

how I learned my craft
I first learned how to quilt from a 3 hour workshop many years ago and never thought about it again until I was living in a remote Northern community and became pregnant with our first child. Partway through the pregnancy I discovered that he had a deformity considered incompatible with life. I decided to make a quilt to wrap him in when he was born. Since then I have discovered art quilting which suits my inability to access the left side of my brain when trying to be creative since it does not require straight lines very often.

what my craft is teaching me
As I learn more and more about fibre arts I am becoming aware of the many social issues surrounding the history of quilting, the use of dyes, and the business of commercial fabrics. I feel like I'm in the very early stages of learning about this craft and am excited about what is to come.

a craft mentor
Heidi Hunter, another MCC member, has been an inspiration to me with her gorgeous self designed fabrics, artistic designs, and inspiring workshops!

No comments:

Post a Comment