Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Andrea Braunstein



primary medium

Hand built low fired clay painted with acrylics


find me online at

www.andreabraunstein.ca


see my work at

the Winnipeg Art Gallery, Gallery Shoppes, Glitz and Medea Gallery


mcc member since the 1980's


what I love most about my craft

After all these years I still feel a rush when my hands touch clay. I usually start a piece with a basic idea, but I never know where it will take me. That's the excitement for me.


where and how I learned my craft

I took wheel throwing classes with Duane Perkins in the 80's and was influenced by the many potters that I worked with in the Euphoria studio. At that time, I also attended workshops at the University of Manitoba and throughout the province. In recent years, I became interested in hand building and took sculpture, painting and drawing classes, which brought me to the work that I do today.


a craft based show that made me think differently about my work

When I was still wheel throwing I saw a show of Jordan Van Sewell's sculptures. It had a great impact on me as I loved the fun and creativity of his work. I now look at the world around me and try to have fun while I incorporate what I see in my sculptures. When I stop having fun, it will be time to quit.




No comments:

Post a Comment