Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Teresa Burrows



primary medium
Beading lately, but I like to think of myself as a relatively feral artist. I was trained as a printmaker but living 750 km north of a decent press and studio, I found art in drawing, painting, photography, mixed media, and beadwork.

location
Thompson

mcc member since
2008

what I like most about my craft
What I like about beading is that I can keep it simple, or I can build pieces together and make more complicated works. The caribou women works I have been working on recently have been on-going for 18 months but I do other art in between as I can only sanely bead for about 4-7 hours in any given day. Most weekends I take up a roost and bead non stop. My craft has confirmed that being obsessive compulsive is a good thing in the art-craft world.

how I learned my craft
The north used to abound with talented craftswomen beading. Years ago when I worked at the Ma Mow We Tak friendship centre I had to hire beadwork instructors. A few elderly women showed me the basics, but it was probably twenty years before I started working beads into my artwork

my favorite online craft related resource
ebay. It has opened my world to a variety of sizes, colours, and types of beads that I can incorporate into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment