Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Marilyn Folson



medium
clay

location
just north of Gimli on Lake Winnipeg
.
find me on the web at
http://www.marilynfolson.ca/

what I love most about my craft
I love the plasticity of clay; it's a medium that allows me to take "play" to the level of "idea." That's very exciting.

something my craft practice has taught me
I've learned that technical "problems" are all part of the learning; pushing the limits is a fun challenge. I try to relax and let the work and the idea develop. I never start a piece knowing what it will look like; for me there's no adventure in that.

where/how I learned my craft
Ceramics/sculpture/art books and magazines--I love them all. I'm always looking at art. Also, I learn a lot from our travels (Santa Fe was a favourite art destination). I come home inspired and ready to work again. Mostly, I learn by doing. I try to stay open to all possibilities in the clay.

a craft-based show that made me think differently about my work
The Jean-Pierre Larocque show at the Gardner museum in Toronto was very freeing--the rich, textured surfaces, the abstraction, the historical references; the celebration of clay as a natural, earthy material that has its own beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment